One of the most inexpensive ways to market your brand while increasing consumer confidence and recognition is by entering — and winning — writing contests. Winning in national and international writing and blogging contests puts your brand front and center on the contest’s website and directs all of their traffic to your work, increasing your brand’s visibility in the marketplace. Below are some of the most well-known contests to enter that will put your blog, and thus you, in the spotlight.
- The Weblog Awards: Nominations for the best blogs of 2014 begin January 1. All blogs with any content posted within 2013 are eligible and can be nominated in multiple categories. There are 29 categories listed for the 2013 awards. Award categories change based on blogging trends. Visit http://2014.bloggi.es/ and click on the year 2013 for the most recent list of rules and regulations.
- The BOBs (Best of the Blogs): This is an international weblog competition and is considered to be the world’s largest. It is sponsored by Deutsche Welle, the German International Broadcasting Service, in an effort to promote freedom of information and expression. Weblogs, podcasts, and videologs are eligible to enter among 34 categories in a total of 14 languages. Visit http://thebobs.com/english/ for details.
- The Webby Awards: An international award honoring excellence on websites, interactive advertising & media, online film and video; mobile and app; and social web. Two honors, the Webby Award and the Webby People’s Voice Award, are presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences in each category. 2013 entry deadline is Nov. 1. Visit http://www.webbyawards.com/index.php for details.
- The Stevie Awards: A business awards site created to honor and generate public recognition of achievements and contributions of business people and organizations. They also highlight apps, blogs, and websites. There are a variety of categories available to enter. Visit http://www.stevieawards.com/pubs/general/72_194_904.cfm for details.
- The Versatile Blogger Awards (VBA): Blog readers nominate their favorite bloggers and blogs, which leads to an award being granted. In return, award winners are expected to nominate blogs and bloggers they like and answer seven questions about themselves. Award winners’ blogs are featured on VBA’s website. Visit http://versatilebloggeraward.wordpress.com/ for details.
So take a moment to enter these contests, many of which are free; then sit back and revel in the knowledge that you’ve helped improve your brand and blog’s status on the Web, and brought credibility and prestige to yourself as well.